Signup For Our Mailing List
SPOTLIGHT on Faculty: Dr. Xiufeng Liu
Xiufeng Liu, PhD | Graduate School of Education, Department of Learning and Instruction | Written by Yuhan Chen ’20
Dr. Xiufeng Liu specializes in science education, science education assessment, and educational technology. Here at UB, he is Professor of Science Education in the Graduate School of Education, Dept. of Learning and Instruction. Prof. Liu also is Director of the Center for Education Innovation. Two of his many recent articles focus on scientific reasoning in university students and education technology:
- Variation in University Students’ Scientific Reasoning Skills Across Major, Years, and Types of Institutions DOI: 10.1007/s11165-015-9473-y. (2016)
Understanding the life cycle of computer based models: the role of expert contributions is design, development and implementation. Educational Technology: Research and Development, DOI: 10.1007/s11423-015-9402-9 (2015)
Prof. Liu recently was invited to advise the new National Assessment Program in China that will be performed September 2017. The purpose of this program is to determine the level of education of 4th and 8th grade students in China. A few key aspects of the program include:
- China just adopted the assessment program from United States, which has a long history of student assessment programs.
- U.S. makes assessments in 4th, 8th and 12th grade, but China only will do assessments on 4th, and 8th grades.
- Dr. Liu is one of six global experts invited by the Chinese team to help them to improve this program.
- There are five step for prepare this program, assessment framework, develop assessment question, pilot-testing, standard level, and report writing.
Visit the Center for Education Innovation website to learn more about teaching, learning, and assessment and Dr. Liu’s work at UB!