Study Abroad Scholarships
We are working to make study abroad possible for as many Asian Studies majors and minors as possible. Our annual budget includes funding for undergraduate study abroad scholarships ranging from $500 to $1500 per scholarship. Scholarships will be awarded to undergraduate students who are studying abroad for the first time, and who demonstrate merit and a willingness to be actively engaged with the Asian Studies Program while abroad, by submitting posts and photos for our website and social media.
To further support undergraduate study abroad in Asia, we set up a study abroad scholarship fund. This fund is built by generous contributions from our alumni, faculty, and broad community of people interested in the study of Asia. We would be so pleased if you would apply for a scholarship if you are a student, or support future students by contributing to the scholarship fund.
Visit UB’s Study Abroad Scholarships page to learn about more Study Abroad funding opportunities. Contact Megan Stewart, UB’s Fellowships and Scholarships Advisor in the Office of Fellowships and Scholarships.
Our Fall 2016 Asian Studies Study Abroad Scholarship recipient
- Kayleigh Reed
We look forward to hearing from her during her study abroad adventure! Posts from abroad will appear on our Facebook page.
Our 2015-2016 Asian Studies Study Abroad Scholarship recipients
- Connor Laurey
- Lukas Dickash
- Rebecca Gasiorek
- Ryan Jones
The 2016-2017 Study Abroad Scholarship
There are two application periods for the 2016-2017 Asian Studies Study Abroad Scholarship.
- The Fall Award period supports study abroad for Winter 2017 and Spring 2017. The application period opens October 1 with a deadline of November 4, 2016.
- The Spring Award period supports study abroad for Summer 2017 and Fall 2017. The application period opens February 1 with a deadline of March 10, 2017.
The awards will range between $500 and $1000. All UB undergraduate students are welcome to apply, but preference will be given to students majoring or minoring in the Asian Studies Program.
- Full-time enrollment as an undergraduate at the University of Buffalo in good academic standing at the time of your application
- At the time applying for this scholarship, you must have already applied to a study abroad program in Asia through the UB Study Abroad office
- Awards will be based on academic merit and seriousness of purpose
- Participation in an established study abroad or exchange program
- The study abroad program offers academic credit
- Applicants who are studying abroad for the first time or in country or region to which they have never before traveled
- Foreign language study is a component of the program
- The applicant agrees to be an ambassador for Asian Studies at UB by sending occasional posts and photos of their experiences while in-country for use on the Asian Studies Program’s social media and website. The applicant must also be willing to talk with other students about their study abroad experience upon returning to UB.
Application Materials and Guidelines
Please submit the following 4 items:
- The online application form.
- A brief personal statement (no longer than 2 pages double-spaced, 11 or 12 point font) describing your academic reasons for selecting a particular program, detailing how the study abroad program will fit into your overall academic program and goals, and how the program benefits your personal, academic, and professional development.
- One letter of recommendation from a professor who has taught you in an Asian Studies-related course. The letter of recommendation must be submitted in a sealed envelope signed by the professor or emailed as an attachment directly from the professor.
- A current copy of your transcript.
All application materials for the Fall Award period must be submitted no later than 4pm on Friday, March 10, 2017.
Submit using option A or option B
A. Online. Email Asian-Studies@buffalo.edu with “Study Abroad Scholarship Application: [your name]” in the subject line. Attach the completed application form, your personal statement, and your transcripts. Ask your professor to email their letter of recommendation as an attachment to Asian- Studies@buffalo.edu with “Study Abroad Recommendation: [your name]” in the subject line.
B. Hand-delivered. Bring your printed application form, personal statement, transcripts, and letter of recommendation to 412 Clemens Hall. The letter of recommendation must be in a sealed envelope signed across the envelope flap by the faculty member.
Please contact Dr. Caroline Funk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 716-645-0763 if you have any questions.